Discovered on the southern tip of Mexico’s Baja California Peninsula, South Cabo San Lucas is a tropical oasis that brilliantly blends natural beauty with human-made splendor. This travel guide provides an overview of the exciting opportunities that make this Mexican resort city truly enchanting.
Best Time to Visit South Cabo San Lucas
There’s no ‘wrong’ time to visit Cabo San Lucas; however, weather, affordability, and personal preference play a significant role in deciding when to explore this paradise.
- Winter (December to February): Perfect for whale watching, comfortable temperatures, but it’s the peak tourist season.
- Spring (March to May): Excellent weather, fewer crowds, great time for water sports and other outdoor activities.
- Summer (June to August): If you can tolerate a little heat, this is the best time for fishing, and hotel prices drop.
- Autumn (September to November): This is when the Sea of Cortez is the warmest, making it ideal for swimming and snorkeling.
Remember, visiting Cabo during hurricane season (June – November) can be a gamble but can also be a way to save money on your trip, if you secure proper travel insurance.
Top Attractions in South Cabo San Lucas
Defined by its stunning natural sights and active social scene, South Cabo boasts a bevy of sites worth exploring.
- El Arco, is an iconic natural rock formation located at Land’s End.
- Medano Beach, the main beach in town with plenty of restaurants and bars.
- Marina Cabo San Lucas, popular for shopping and dining.
- San Jose del Cabo’s Art District, perfect for art lovers and collectors.
- Chileno Beach, one of the cleanest beaches and an excellent spot for snorkeling.
- Visit the Baja California Peninsula to witness the union of the Pacific Ocean and Gulf of California.
Outdoor Activities in South Cabo San Lucas
Cabo is a paradise for lovers of the outdoors and water sports. There are fantastic opportunities for explorations on land and along the coastline.
- Scuba diving and snorkeling in the crystal-clear waters and reefs of Cabo is a must-do.
- Catch a wave and go surfing at Costa Azul Beach in San Jose del Cabo or at the East Cape.
- Experience the thrill of a zip-line tour through the Baja Peninsula’s rugged canyons.
- Enjoy a round of golf at one of the world-class golf courses that line the Los Cabos corridor.
- Whale watching tours are especially popular during migration season from December to April.
Exploring the Beaches of South Cabo San Lucas
The beaches of South Cabo are breathtakingly beautiful, offering everything from busy, bustling seaside spots to serene and secluded stretches of sand.
- Medano Beach, the most popular beach, is a great hangout spot with beachside restaurants and bars like Mango Deck.
- Lover’s Beach (Playa del Amor) is a tranquil retreat ideal for picnics and snorkeling.
- Santa Maria Beach is a protected marine sanctuary, perfect for snorkeling and swimming.
- Divorce Beach, despite its ominous name, is a beautiful spot with gigantic Pacific waves.
Culinary Delights in South Cabo San Lucas
South Cabo San Lucas serves a plateful of worldwide and local flavors prepared by renowned chefs and upcoming talents.
- Dine at Flora Farms, a 10-acre organic farm in the foothills of the Sierra de la Laguna Mountains.
- Visit El Farallon, the cliffside restaurant at Waldorf Astoria Pedregal.
- Venture to Los Tres Gallos for an authentic Mexican dining experience.
- Sample exquisite seafood culinary masterpieces by Jean-Georges Vongerichten at the One&Only Palmilla resort.
- You can’t leave Cabo without trying a traditional taco at a streetside stand.
Shopping in South Cabo San Lucas
From local handicrafts to high-fashion, Los Cabos has a thriving shopping scene.
- Luxury Avenue Boutique Mall offers a variety of international luxury brands.
- Artesanos is a must-visit for traditional Mexican furniture and handicrafts.
- Stroll along the Marina Boulevard for a selection of boutiques, specialty shops, and jewelry stores.
- San Jose del Cabo’s Art District is perfect for purchasing unique sculptures, paintings, and ceramics.
Nightlife and Entertainment in South Cabo San Lucas
When the sun goes down, the Cabo nightlife scene comes alive with its exciting clubs, bars, and live music venues.
- Visit Cabo Wabo Cantina, Sammy Hagar’s famed live music venue.
- Experience El Squid Roe, the three-story nightclub, and landmark in Cabo.
- For a more relaxed atmosphere, head to Baja Brewing Company, the first craft brewery in Baja California Sur.
- Experience the vibrant Downtown Cabo San Lucas that transforms into a lively party scene after dark.
Day Trips from South Cabo San Lucas
Several magical places are within a day’s reach of Cabo, offering a variety of breathtaking landscapes and new experiences.
- Travel the Pacific Highway to La Paz, an authentic Mexican city known for its beautiful malecon and fantastic diving.
- Visit Todos Santos, a Pueblo Magico–designated town with beautiful art galleries and great surfing.
- Explore East Cape for excellent diving, fishing, and seclusion.
- Take a trip to Puerto Vallarta, another wonderful beach town on the Pacific coast.
Family-Friendly Activities in South Cabo San Lucas
South Cabo offers a range of activities to ensure fun for the whole family.
- Visit Cabo Dolphins to swim with these fun-loving creatures.
- Take a camel ride on the beach with Cabo Adventures.
- Go for pirate ship sailing adventure aboard the Buccaneer Queen.
- Enjoy a family meal at Mi Casa, a restaurant filled with colorful decor and traditional Mexican food.
- Slip and slide at Wild Wet Fun water park.
Practical Tips for Traveling to South Cabo San Lucas
Before you pack your bags, here are some practical tips for your trip.
- Have valid travel insurance that caters to your specific needs.
- South Cabo San Lucas and the whole Los Cabos area is generally safe for tourists, but like any tourist areas, stay vigilant.
- The currency is the Mexican peso, but U.S. dollars are widely accepted.
- English is widely spoken in Cabo, especially in tourist areas, hotels, and restaurants.
- Always carry sunscreen, and stay hydrated.
- Why should you visit South Cabo San Lucas?
South Cabo San Lucas combines mesmerizing ocean views, stunning beaches, an exciting culinary scene, and vibrant nightlife, making it a perfect destination for every type of traveler.
- What are the top attractions in South Cabo San Lucas?
Top attractions include El Arco, the Marina Cabo San Lucas, Medano Beach, and San Jose del Cabo’s Art District.
- What are the best beaches in South Cabo San Lucas?
Some of the best beaches are Medano Beach, Lover’s Beach, Santa Maria Beach, and Divorce Beach.
- What are the popular water activities in South Cabo San Lucas?
Popular water activities include scuba diving, snorkeling, surfing, and whale watching.
- What is the weather like in South Cabo San Lucas?
South Cabo San Lucas enjoys a tropical desert climate with over 300 days of sunshine a year.
- What are the must-try local dishes in South Cabo San Lucas?
Seafood dishes like fish tacos, ceviche and lobster are must-tries, as well as chiles en nogada and tamales for those who enjoy traditional Mexican cuisine.
- What are the best accommodations options in South Cabo San Lucas?
Accommodation options range from luxury resorts like the Waldorf Astoria to budget-friendly vacation homes and mid-range hotels in the downtown area.
- What are the most popular events and festivals in South Cabo San Lucas?
Events include the Cabo San Lucas Fiesta de San Lucas in October, the Los Cabos International Film Festival in November, and bustling Christmas celebrations.
- What are the safety tips for traveling to South Cabo San Lucas?
Although Cabo is considered safe for tourists, like any popular destination, it’s advised to stay in tourist areas, secure your valuables, and stay aware of your surroundings.
- What is the best time of year to visit South Cabo San Lucas?
While Cabo is a year-round destination, the best time to visit is from December to April when the weather is perfect for beach-going and outdoor exploration.
Embarking on your exciting journey to Cabo, a dream travel destination, will allow you to experience its marvelous beauty, vibrant nightlife, and unique culture. Remember this travel guide to make the most out of your trip. Have a great journey!